Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Night Photography

I've never been much of a "student" of photography or anything, but some of my favorite shots are by a night photographer named Noel Kerns. The thing about his photos are that they are all shot at night, but contain tons of color. He does all of this for the camera using strobes, gels, and long exposure times. None of the effects are put in after the shot is taken with Photoshop or anything like that.

Here's one of his most recent photos:


What I really find interesting about this shot is that even though it's shot at night, the way he uses light it makes it seem really bright and surreal. I really like this guy's work because of the things he's able to do with a still camera and simple lights. Here's some more of his work from abandoned buildings (I have a thing for abandoned buildings and urban exploring, if you couldn't tell by now):


I just really love this guy's photography for the things he's able to do with light. He can take a completely dark room or exterior shot, and then transform it into something full of vibrant color and turn it into something beautiful.

Here's my favorite shot of his:


What makes this my favorite photo is that even though it's shot at night, it almost looks like a surreal day shot. The moon is extremely bright and radiates light which makes it look like the sun, and the cloud passing in front of it is a very nice touch. Then there's the city directly through the doorway in the background, which has a beautiful "hazy" feel to it. I also love how there's like 5 different shades of blue in the background, starting with a light and hazy look and turning into a deep solid blue around the edges. That sort of change in shade is even more amazing to me considering that this was shot at night when everything normally would appear all black or dark.

No comments:

Post a Comment