Monday, February 8, 2010

Planning

The location I chose for the Portrait of a Place assignment was the Jemison Institute (AKA "Old Bryce") in Tuscaloosa. It's an old mental institute that has been abandoned for 30-40 years, and is supposedly haunted. Since it was an abandoned building and I haven't been out there in 5-6 years, I wasn't sure what was still out there so I didn't have a definite plan to shoot. Instead, I wanted to go out and look around and then see what was there to film.

Even though I didn't have a definite plan for what exactly I wanted, I did know that I wanted to try and capture the "creepiness" of it, as well as to convey a sense of "instability" to hopefully reflect its history as an insane asylum. Even in the daytime, it is a very creepy place (for me anyway) and hopefully that will be conveyed through this project.

No comments:

Post a Comment